Advice from GCs for Outside Legal Counsel [Mid-Market Report Article]
The secret to increasing client retention and new business acquisition rates can’t be answered in one simple piece of advice. According to Gina Rubel, there is no single ingredient, rather a series of practices to follow on the road to success.
In the article, Gina expertly compiles valuable tips given by GCs at a recent Legal Marketing Association conference and from additional one-on-one interviews.
Highlights from the GCs’ advice address diversity and inclusion, the need to maintain relationships, clean and accurate time and billing management, industry knowledge, responsive and honest communications, demonstrated experience with relevant issues, accurate, timely and succinct RFP responses, and having a solid LinkedIn presence.
- Kristen Albertson, vice president global ethics and compliance administration, Walmart Stores, Inc.
- Nelson A. Diaz, Esq., director, PECO, an Exelon company
- Maria Feeley, vice president, general counsel and secretary, University of Hartford;
- Ezgi Kaya, corporate counsel, Amazon
- Mark N. Klein, general counsel, Burford Capital
- Lori Peruto, general counsel, Philadelphia Suburban Development Corp
- Kenneth Vennera, general counsel and chief compliance officer, BPI Holding Group LLC
- Alison Wisniewski; chief legal officer, Epiq.
The LMA annual general counsel panel is well attended and well covered year after year. Here are some other articles with additional takeaways.
- #LMA18 GC Panel: Lawyers, Slow Down & Stick Around – Lesson #1 by Nancy Myrland
- #LMA18 – The General Counsel Panel by Heather Morse
- The Importance of Diversity, the Value of Responsiveness, and More from the General Counsel Panel at LMA 2018 by Isabelle Minasian for LexBlog
Gina Rubel is the person law firm leaders call for high-stakes public relations, crisis planning, and incident-response support including high profile litigation media relations. An attorney and law firm PR expert, Gina leads Furia Rubel Communications, Inc., an agency supporting law firm growth through integrated legal marketing, public relations, and content marketing. Contact her at email@example.com or @GinaRubel.
Read the full article and access the rest of the tips in the latest Mid-Market Report.
Side note: Want to learn more about how to take the fear and loathing out of the RFP process, listen to ALM’s LegalSpeak podcast interview by Law.com’s in-house editor Rebekah Mintzer of Lisa Konie, senior director of legal operations at Adobe Systems, and Toby Brown, chief practice management officer at law firm Perkins Coie.